Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bruncher, Can You Spare The Time?

How I look forward to Saturday and Sunday! A couple of my friends have to work during the week, and Saturday and Sunday (they call it the "weekend") are the only days when everyone can get together for brunch. So, Saturday morning I drag myself out of the condo early, and by 3PM I'm ready to find a good brunch line to stand in.
Brunch is an old custom dating back to 1896, appearing roughly around the same time as the appearance of the brunch line. It's unclear which phenomenon came first.

A modern-day brunch line.


Old-time brunch line from 1930.

Either there weren't as many restaurants serving brunch back then, or this was a line for a REALLY good brunch restaurant!

Obviously, if there's no line, the brunch can't be any good. So, our team splits up and checks out the various brunch lines in Williamsburg, and wherever the longest line is reported is where we finally meet up. A good two-hour wait is considered respectable. This gives you plenty of time to catch up on your tweeting and blogging. I put many of my blog posts online, right here IN line! Also, a good strong brunch line is a formidable show of force on the streets to let everyone know who runs this town!
This Saturday, we had brunch at Awkward (343 Porter Ave. in Greenpoint, right next to the gasworks), where they run a Recession Brunch Special for $20. The coffee of the day was fair-trade organic Rwandan Harrar from Triangle Shirtwaist Roasters. A brief cupping for aroma revealed blueberry, raspberry, brown sugar, marmalade and melted butter notes. The muffin of the day was blueberry, raspberry and brown sugar, with marmalade and Idyllrich Farms butter, and the taste was reminiscent of Rwandan Harrar coffee.

At Awkward, brunch comes with all-you-can-eat bacon. I LOVE bacon! Does anyone else in Brooklyn love bacon? I almost hate to let my little secret out about this humble breakfast meat, but ultimately it's my foodie duty to spread the word.


I ordered the fried eggs with fleur de sel and shredded ten dollar bill. It's those little value-added ingredients that really make or break an egg dish.



As we ambled out into the early evening air, our appetites were whetted for dinner, but it was only 7PM. Someone ought to invent dunch, or linner, or suppunch!


1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    I'm a reporter at CUNY and I was wondering if I could use your photo of a line outside of a restaurant for my school blog, Pest of New York
    http://mondaynight.journalism.cuny.edu/.
    Please let me know. Thanks, Amy

    amy.kraft@journalism.cuny.edu

    ReplyDelete